If you love trying cutting-edge cuisine in the trendiest restaurants, make sure you bring your sense of adventures. Many popular hipster restaurants place a few hurdles into the dining experience, such as long lines, hard-to-find locations, and high prices.
What if you could have all the benefits of dining at the coolest restaurants, but with none of the drawbacks? Hipsters restaurants have quite a few things to teach us about making, serving, and enjoying fine dining.
Features Found in Hipster Restaurants Which You Should Use at Home
We can use these techniques to improve the meals you make at home. Here’s a closer look at hipster-inspired ways to take your home dining experience to a whole new level.
7 Tips and Techniques from Hipster Restaurants to Use in Your Kitchen
When hipsters search for cool new restaurants, they look for authenticity, uniqueness, and a commitment to natural ingredients.
Whether cooking a quick meal for you and a loved one or preparing a large dinner party for family and friends, here are seven great takeaways from the world-famous hipster restaurants:
Locally sourced food is food grown near where it’s consumed. Although there’s no official definition, it’s generally understood to mean food grown or raised within a 150-foot radius of the restaurant.
Truthfully, the specific distance doesn’t matter much; what’s important is both the chef and the diner know how and where the food was created.
According to the University of Washington, local-sourcing has the following benefits:
- The food is fresh
- The environmental impact of raising or growing the food is less than large-scale farming
- It helps support the local economy
- It has a reduced risk of contamination
If you want locally-sourced food for your table, hit up your local farmer’s markets. You’ll always find fresh, in-season fruits and vegetables.
If you’re not quite sure what to do with the goods you find, check out The Farmer’s Market Cookbook by Nina Planck and Nigel Slater.
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Planck, Nina (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
Another option is to grow your food. After all, what’s closer than your backyard?
Books like The Year-Round Vegetable Gardener can help you get started.
Don’t worry if you don’t have a big backyard or plot of land. Grow veggies and herbs on your windowsill with Window Garden’s Herb Starter Kit.
- The Year Round Vegetable Gardener How to Grow Your Own Food 365 Days a Year No Matter Where You Live
- Jabbour, Niki (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
Hipsters – and everyone else, for that matter – want food free from pesticides and harmful chemicals. You’ll find many hipster restaurants that only serve organic food.
Fortunately, you can easily make organic meals at home, too.
However, when shopping, watch out for misleading labels. Any brand can use words like “all-natural,” “farm fresh” and “healthy.”
What you want to find is the designation of Certified Organic. It’s a specific designation awarded by the Department of Agriculture.
For food to earn the Certified Organic label, the farming practices must avoid:
- Artificial chemicals
Avoiding these potentially poisonous chemicals is enough of a reason to choose organic. Also, organic foods typically have more nutrients and taste fresher than their non-organic counterparts.
Finding organic food is usually easy.
Check the labels on what you buy for the Certified Organic label. Remember, all other claims and titles are marketing hype.
If you shop at a farmer’s market, keep in mind that not all foods sold there are necessarily organic. Fortunately, the farmer or rancher is usually available to answer your questions.
Do you have kids? Start your little one off right in life with organic baby food.
Check out the Big Book of Organic Baby Food for simple and nutritious recipes.
- Middleberg MS RD CDN, Stephanie (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 296 Pages - 10/18/2016 (Publication Date) - Sonoma Press (Publisher)
None of the following are allowed:
As you can see, veganism is strict. However, you don’t have to follow it exactly to enjoy vegan dishes in the kitchen.
If you’re interested in eliminating meat from your diet but aren’t quite ready to go vegan, vegetarianism is considered an easier option. According to research from the Harvard Medical School:
- Between six and eight million people eat no poultry, meat, or fish
- Over 10 million eat poultry or fish but no meat
- Roughly two million people are vegan
- The Complete Vegetarian Cookbook
- English (Publication Language)
- 472 Pages - 03/01/2015 (Publication Date) - America's Test Kitchen (Publisher)
Both feature simple-to-understand, tasty dishes.
Buzzfeed detailed the types of décor you’ll find in a stereotypical restaurant. Among the frequently-seen favorites are the following:
- Red-brick walls
- Exposed pipes
- Vintage decorations
- Non-traditional tables
Admittedly, some hipster décor is on the pretentious side. However, there are also some cool décor ideas you can use at home.
For instance, do you have a patio or backyard? Turn it into an outdoor bistro with this 24-foot string of vintage lights from Sokani.
- Personalise DIY:Perfect for DIY with 24 FT Length Or even longer to enlighten any event and create a festive flair
- High Quality:Weatherproof Commercial Grade confidently leave on display through summers ＆ winter
- Best Experience: We have 2 free extra bulbs in the package for replacements to devoted to improve your purchase experience with us
- NOT RUST --- Printed using UV resistant inks, weatherproof and not rust
- WALL DECOR --- A wonderful piece to add to your bar, coffee house or home
- EASY HANGING --- Pre-Drilled holes for easy hanging
The idea isn’t to transform your home into an uber-chic restaurant. Instead, adding hipster-inspired décor adds a subtle, fun ambiance for your dinner guests.
It helps create a space separate from the rest of your house.
Hipster restaurants are rather notorious for their insistence on tables, chairs, and silverware that are outside the mainstream.
Sometimes this stuff goes too far. Check out the hilarious examples found in the We Want Plates, a subreddit dedicated to outlandish ways to serve food.
Fortunately, there are plenty of cool ways to serve your meals that won’t frustrate the people eating them.
First, get a set of mason jars. They’re trendy but also easy to grasp.
Plus, they hold lots of liquid, which is great whether you’re serving fresh juice or homebrewed beer.
- Made in America by the Ball Mason Jar Company
- Great for candles, lotions, jams and jellies, preserves, herbs etc.
- Lid and airtight band included
For serving, County Line Kitchen has a two-quart mason jar pitcher.
Next, add some new silverware such as this vintage-inspired set of copper silverware from Artaste. They’re hand-forged with a simple, classic style.
With plates, you want something with a cool style – but make sure eating off of them is easy. This 16-piece set of stoneware from Gibson Home has a hip, modern style.
Also, Acacia has a set of round wood plates that are lightweight but durable.
- 🍒 [100% Handcrafted Dinner Plates Set] AIDEA dinner plates set is manufactured in Vietnam which is 100% handcrafted. High quality acacia wood makes this dinner plates set...
- 🍒 [Safe for Everyday Use] Wood dinner plates are sturdy and convenient for everyday use like breakfast, dinner, home decor. No afraid of chip or crack compared with those...
- 🍒 [11 Inch Large Size & Lightweight] Set of 4 Round Acacia wood dinner plates measure 11inch in diameter, 1 inch in thickness, 290g in weight for each one. Light enough for...
Finally, complete the dining experience with hipster napkins. Silly but still cool, these fabric napkins from Lunarablefeature a hipster fox complete with signature thick-rimmed glasses.
Another fun option is these hipster lion napkins from Ambesonne.
- 12 Inches x 12 Inches. Square satin table decor accessories. For brunch and dinner. MADE IN TURKEY.
- MADE FROM - %100 satin polyester. Soft feeling & silky touch. Sturdy for indoor and outdoor events.
- FEATURES - Sewn on all sides. Machine washable, easy to care. Impress everyday and formal settings.
What’s cooler than cans of PBR? The beer you brew yourself.
After all, what’s more exclusive than beer you make in your own home?
Brewing beer is fairly straightforward, although you need to buy some equipment first. According to the American Homebrewers Association, you’ll need the following:
- Airlock and Bung
- Heat Source
Brooklyn Brew Shop’s Everyday IPA Beer Making Kit is another great option for brewing newbies.
- The Everyday IPA Beer Making Kit is perfect for beginners. Brooklyn Brew Shop makes brewing beer at home simple, fun, and tasty with easy-to-follow videos and step-by-step...
- Created by published beer authors, our award-winning, all-grain kits are made in America and designed to be brewed on the stove top of any kitchen big or small.
- The kit includes: our Everyday IPA making mix (grain, hops and yeast), 1 gallon reusable glass fermenter, glass spirit-filled thermometer, vinyl tubing, racking cane & tip,...
One of the best parts of brewing your beer is that you control the flavor and type. Make the beer you’ve always wanted to drink!
Give your beer a name and even design a custom label. Serve your one-of-a-kind beer at your next dinner party or give away bottles as gifts.
Do you want to take your brewing up a notch? You don’t have to brew beer; kits are available for brewing hard cider, mead, and more.
- The Hard Cider Making Kit is perfect for beginners. Brooklyn Brew Shop makes fermenting hard cider at home simple and fun. Makes 3 batches of hard cider with easy-to-follow...
- Created by published beer authors, our award-winning kits are made in America and designed to be fermented in any kitchen big or small.
- Kit includes: 1 gallon reusable glass fermenter, 3 packets yeast, vinyl tubing & clamp, racking cane & tip, chambered airlock, 3 packets cleanser, and screw-cap stopper. Just...
Coffer is a hipster mainstay, and hipsters have mastered the art and science of brewing the perfect cup. They’re coffee experts with plenty of interesting coffee-making techniques you can use at home.
First, throw out that store brand of beans. You want an authentic, tasty, and hipster-approved brand such as this medium roast from Koffee Kult or this ultra-strong blend from the Black Rifle Coffee Company.
- 🌄ABOUT THIS BLEND 🌄 The roast that started it all. Our founding roast strikes the perfect balance between the bold and the smooth. This medium roast was developed to be...
- ☕WORLDS BEST SINGLE SERVE COFFEE☕ It doesn’t matter if you are looking for variety packs or French roast coffee in bulk, BRCC Coffee Rounds offer assorted roasts that...
- 🌱VARIETY OF ROASTS FOR EVERY COFFEE LOVER🌱You need the freshest and strongest (or smoothest) coffee around. We personally blend Brazilian & Colombian beans to create a...
Hipster restaurants aren’t afraid to embrace new cuisine and ways of serving it. You can bring some of these ideas home to elevate the fun you’ll have around the kitchen table.
Use our list above to elevate your next dinner party or get-together. Treat your friends and family to a hipster-inspired dining experience they’re sure to love!