Hipsters and yuppies are cut from the same cloth, but if you need a label, there are differences. They both value expensive gear for aesthetic and “authenticity” reasons and finding little known produce in that corner grocery store.
They both have a penchant for all things artisanal and love to transform neighborhoods.
Hipster Versus Yuppie – Shades of the Same Movement
So what’s the difference? Let’s take a look at a few markers that can help you tell the difference. It gets easier to spot once you’ve had some practice.
Hipster Versus Yuppie – The History
Yuppies emerged in the 1980s as an alternative to the free-loving movement of the 1960s. Young Urban Professionals, or Yuppies, as they were soon called, weren’t afraid to make money or pursue the lifestyle they wanted.
Where hippies were dedicated to a life devoid of material wealth (at least on the surface), Yuppies were okay with landing that high paying job and being able to buy what they wanted.
For many Yuppies, money allows them to buy experiences and things that are unique to them. Where Yuppies differ from some other groups is that they often choose to use their money for good, to support local art and culture while still enjoying the things they love.
Hipsters could be considered an outgrowth of the Yuppie movement. Hipsters emerged right around the time the economy crashed, and the job situation changed permanently.
They may not be able to get into the big corporate world (or want to), but they still use their money to purchase unique things and experiences.
Hipster Versus Yuppie – How Can You Tell?
Let’s go over a few different ways you can know if what you’re seeing is a hipster or a yuppie. We’ll cover everything you need to know so that you won’t ever be stuck without a proper gift or say the wrong thing.
Here’s what to keep in mind.
The Look – DIY Versus Limited Edition
Hipsters and yuppies aren’t strangers to spending money on their appearance, but a big difference between the two lies in exactly how they spend that money. It’s all in the amounts and where it goes.
Hipsters love to look unique and aren’t above spending hours at thrift shops finding pieces that fit their look. If that clothing doesn’t quite fit, isn’t the right color, or would look so cute as a skirt instead of pants, they DIY the changes they need.
Those DIY changes give their look a completely unique take on fashions of the past while also giving hipsters the chance to create one of a kind pieces that none of their neighbors have. They may not be able to purchase that individual selvedge piece from the showroom in Tokyo, but they can score a pair of vintage 501s from the local Goodwill and carefully wash and dry them until they age.
- Made in USA
- Japanese Kaihara 4-way Stretch Selvedge Fabric
- Zipper Closure
Yuppies aren’t afraid of getting one of a kind pieces either. Instead of spending all their time at thrift stores and creating their own looks, they follow fashion-forward designers that are two steps from making it to New York Fashion Week.
- ORIGINAL LEVI'S JEANS: For over 150 years, Levi's has created products for those who value craftsmanship, quality, utility and style
- LEVI'S 501: These jeans feature a classic style known since 1873 featuring the original straight fit for an All-American look with a button fly and 5 Pocket Styling
- SIZE & FIT: The 501 sits at the waist with a regular fit through the thigh with a 16.5" straight leg opening
They invest in signature pieces they can show off when that designer actually becomes famous later.
They also love artisanal pieces from abroad and aren’t above stocking their entire wardrobe in the fashions of wherever they happen to be visiting. That ring looks like a one of a kind because it is.
Unless you’re willing to visit that silver shop in who-knows-where, you’ll never have a piece like it.
Hipsters may not have unlimited amounts of cash. Still, they’re highly creative in stretching their funds and getting innovative ideas for altering what may be an ordinary piece of clothing for everyone else.
Yuppies invest carefully in small, artisanal brands that produce one of a kind pieces, supporting local artisans and struggling artists.
The Space – Found Art Versus Investment Pieces
Hipster and Yuppie spaces may be similar at first glance, but they follow a similar aesthetic as clothing. They want things that are unique and don’t look like anything anyone else has.
They’re concerned with having an interesting apartment or home filled with items that require a story to explain.
Again, the Hipster has likely scoured the local thrift stores looking for things like vintage records to hang on the wall, weird paintings that they can alter for ironic art, and comfortable throws to go on their couch.
- Set includes: Quilt( 92" x 88") x 1 and Pillow Sham( 20" x 26") x 2, fits queen/full size bed. Material: Cover: 100% cotton/ Filling: 80% cotton and 20% polyester.
- This quilt set is reversible, both sides could be used individually. Prewashed and preshunk to be maximum durable and cozy.
- Our premium quilt set is designed to be bohemian with exquisite printing which combine with multiple elements and vibrant colors, making this quilt unique and decorative.
If they’ve traveled anywhere, there’s also the likelihood that they’ve gathered a few locally made things or invested in some companies that provide those exciting pieces of art or decor. You can always spot a hipster with decor full of good jokes and some twists on traditional sayings or styles.
Yuppies also have unique things, but they’ve probably researched the best, high-end record player money can buy and have invested in it for the sound quality. They may have authentic, hand made furniture produced in small batches from a local carpenter’s business or repurpose true antiques to sprinkle in with their standard decor.
- High-torque direct-drive motor for quick start-up and USB output that connects directly to your computer
- Selectable internal stereo phono pre-amplifier allows turntable to plug directly to components with no dedicated turntable input
- Includes a USB cable, adapter cables, and Mac- and PC-compatible Audacity software to digitize your LPs.Signal-to-Noise Ratio - >50 dB. Power Supply Requirements - 115/230V...
To get this look, you have to have the same eye for creative design and clean lines as hipsters, but your budget expands to include one of a kind pieces like this one that come from an interesting place and help lend your apartment or house an air of luxury design.
The Lifestyle – Experiences Versus Experiences
Both the Hipster and the Yuppie have an excellent appreciation for interesting experiences. They seek out exciting things to experience and do from hobbies to the foods they eat.
On the surface, a lot of their desires are the same. In fact, if hipsters had the budget that yuppies do, they might purchase some of the same types of things.
Hipsters participate in hobbies like kombucha brewing. Kombucha is an easy hobby to get into, with many of the practitioners passing around different types of SCOBY to make their unique brew. Simple, wide mouth mason jars like these are a great way to make Kombucha.
- EASY FILTER: The premium pure cotton cloth keeps dirt, fruit flies, bugs and other particles from getting into your kombucha brew, while allowing air to come into the jar to...
- GLASS IS BEST: Using a glass bottle like this one is better for the flavor of the kombucha or other beverages you are brewing, and it doesn't contain BPA or other toxins that...
- MASON STORAGE JAR: Aside from brewing and fermenting kombucha tea, you can use this as a storage jar to keep grains, legumes and other liquids in your fridge, pantry, or on...
They also love throwback hobbies like crocheting or macrame. Kits and supplies are often at the thrift store where someone gave away their grandmother’s supplies, but hipsters can make amazing arts and crafts from simple kits too.
Anything that suggests a bygone era is fair game.
Hipsters are also known for their love of coffee, and it’s one place where they’re known to splurge. Whether they’re using their own unique home set up to get the perfect tasting notes or they’re purchasing local roasts by the cup or the bean, they’re always looking for that next coffee experience.
Yuppies are also into unique hobbies, but with the available space and capital to invest a little more, they can get more elaborate. Beer brewing kits are all the rage in the yuppie world with dreams of having a garage brewing company strong in this group.
Simple or elaborate kits and gear are often a wonderful investment.
- UKEG - keep beer fresh for weeks
- CARBONATION CAP - automatically regulates pressure to optimally carbonate beer Choose desired carbonation level from zero (off) up to 15 psi
- VESSEL - durable double-wall Vacuum-insulated stainless steel
They also love coffee and sometimes collect systems to brew the most show-stopping coffee around. And with a cup of coffee from their favorite barista, they’ve often got elaborate travel mugs to ensure they always get a proper temperature for the entire cup.
- LONGER LASTING BATTERY: Extended battery life on your temperature control mug keeps your drink perfectly hot for up to 3 hours on a single charge—or all day on the included,...
- NEW TOUCH DISPLAY: Customize your heated mug by simply tapping on the + or - symbol to increase or decrease your preferred drinking temperature. Touch the Ember logo to reveal...
- APP CONTROLLED: Smart mug allows you to control with your smartphone. Pair with the Ember App to set your temperature, customize presets, receive notifications and more.
Hobbies for Yuppies can include collecting and investing in art or apparel from small design houses that are about to go big. They prefer to find one of a kind things directly from the artist, but some of them have the space to create their own works of art.
Any food kits that offer a unique experience like subscription boxes for foods from around the world or legitimate food service that brings meals curated by local immigrant communities could be an excellent way for the Yuppie to explore the world still when they can’t get off work. Combine that with some good tea gear, and you’re sure to satisfy your local Yuppie.
Telling the Difference – Hipsters Versus Yuppies
Hipsters are sometimes known as the modern-day yuppie, but in reality, they do have some differences. If you know what separates the Yuppie from the Hipster, you’ll always know what kind of gift to bring, and you’ll always know how to make your friends or family happy.
If it’s you, then you might recognize yourself in some of these categories. The biggest thing to remember is that with both Yuppies and Hipsters, the uniqueness of the experience is the most important. If you decide to break from any of these suggestions, you’re still fulfilling the spirit of what it means to be a Hipster or a Yuppie.
Hipsters and Yuppies bring a lot of interest to the table in their neighborhoods and support local arts movements. They do get made fun of, but what group doesn’t have its haters?
In our opinion, the more people hate you, the more you’re doing right. Live your life, Hipsters and Yuppies, so that you don’t have any regrets for not pursuing that dream hobby.
Take these suggestions into consideration and add your unique spin!