Hipsters and cute dogs go together hand in paw. Wherever you find hipsters hanging out, certain breeds of dogs are also sure to be there, too. Truthfully, these “hipster dogs” are one of our favorite parts of the culture.
Nine of the Most Popular Dogs for Hipsters
Whether you’re interested in adopting a total hipster lifestyle, or you’re interested in adopting a four-legged friend for your home, here’s a closer look at some very good pups you’ll want to know more about:
Certain breeds of dogs are more hipster-friendly than others. That’s not to say these dogs love collecting vinyl records and eating kimchi. Instead, these pups typically do well when living in cities and apartments. Plus, they’re smart, friendly, and easy to care for.
With their round faces and expressive eyes, pugs are a perennially popular pup among hipsters. They’re smart, sensitive, and gentle dogs with a natural ability to go with the flow. Plus, they’re perfectly pint-sized, so they’re comfortable living in apartments and other small hipster domiciles.
Plus, pugs are patient and pleasant. You can dress them in all sorts of hipster outfits, such as a fleece hoodie or jean jacket from DC.PET. That’s right – real hipsters make sure their dogs dress like hipsters, too.
Pugs are internet famous, too. One of the most popular dogs on Instagram is Nutello the Pug. His page is a great source of fashion tips when dressing your four-legged friend.
- ESTIMATED SIZING BY WEIGHT- (We recommend measuring the chest size for exact the sizing since following is a very rough estimate) X-SMALL: 3-5 lbs SMALL: 4-8 lbs MEDIUM: 7-13...
- KEEP YOUR SMALL DOG WARM ALL WINTER LONG - When the cold weather hits, make sure your small dog isn’t shivering and stays warm with the soft and comfortable Gooby Fleece...
- EASY-ON. EASY-OFF. - Imagine this - Outside it’s snowing and freezing and your dog HAS to go. Our Fleece Dog Vest Hoodie is a pullover that you can quickly and easily put on...
These peppy pups are consistently popular among hipsters. With a natural curiosity and friendliness, your dachshund will remain a loyal friend, whether you’re a hipster or not. Full of energy, but not built for extensive activity, dachshunds do well in apartments and city living.
Plus, Weiner dogs are the ultimate in kitschy coolness. There’s just something inherently funny, but still unironically awesome about these sausage-shaped guys.
Once you get a dachshund, you can step up the hipster-ness by adding Weiner dog clothing to your wardrobe. Put on your Weiner dog crew socks or Weiner dog Christmas sweater before taking your pal on a walk.
- Women's long sleeve crew neck Cute Dachshund pullover knitted sweater jumper with a scarf
- Novelty Dachshund Through the Snow Christmas Happy Birthday Sweater Jumper.
- Cute Dachshund with reindeer horns and 3D red nose printed in the front
At first glance, pit bulls and hipsters might seem like an odd pairing. The pit bull’s reputation as dangerous and aggressive appears at odds with the hipster lifestyle and attitude.
However, pit bulls are quite different than how they’re commonly portrayed in the media. As long as they’re raised with care, pit bulls are friendly, loyal, and good-tempered dogs.
Hipsters love subverting existing trends – and what’s more trend-setting than adopting a breed known as an attack dog, only to turn around and show the world these dogs are instead sweet and gentle.
- You will be the Talk of the Walk in this stunning designer dog collar. These cute dog collars are made from high performance waterproof rubber, patterned with designer...
- No fading, tears and does not absorb any moisture, bacteria or dirt. Great for dogs that like to get active and dirty. Rust free stainless steel buckle.
- Odor proof, stink proof and chew proof - and yet stylish at the same time. Practical doesn't have to be boring.
French Bulldogs are one of the most popular breeds of small dogs in America, thanks in no small part to hipster’s embracing the breed back in the early 2000s. Today, these tiny pups are found in cities everywhere. Weighing less than 30 pounds, French bulldogs have muscular bodies and prominent, bat-like ears.
French Bulldogs are playful, friendly, and alert. They make excellent guard dogs because they’ll bark at the first sign of trouble but otherwise remain obedient and quiet.
- 【12 Dog Toy Squeakers Pack&High Value】 There are variety dog toy assortment for small dogs with various animal shape, including dinosaur, giraffe,panda, chicken, lamb,...
- 【Puppy Teething Toys for Small Dogs】 These sqeeky toys for dogs are made of soft, non-toxic cotton and plush, which is quite suitable for teething and dental cleaning....
- 【Cute Dog Chew Toys Set】Chewing is dog’s nature no matter how big your dog is, and the plush dog toy pack is to help those light chewers. Loving them and just release...
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
Small but mighty, the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is a toy Spaniel who makes a perfect partner for your daily adventures.
Growing no more than 13 inches high, these tiny champions are energetic and full of life. They’re perfect for a hipster who likes to spend time walking around the city or hanging out in parks.
Keep in mind these dogs tend to suffer from fairly substantial separation anxiety. They’re not the best choice if you’ll need to leave them alone in your home for most of the day.
Cavalier’s have sweet, expressive faces with a silky, rich coat. They’re beautiful to look at and typically remain healthy and active for up to 15 years.
Generally, Cavaliers are easy to care for, but you’ll still want to pick up The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Handbook to ensure your new pet stays happy and healthy. Fans of the breed will also enjoy the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Coloring Book.
- Whitwam, Linda (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 272 Pages - 12/04/2018 (Publication Date) - Independently published (Publisher)
Miniature Schnauzers have the best beards of any dog breed. These four-legged, furry friends have darling faces and lots of love to give. Plus, as miniature versions of the Schnauzer, they have a hip style all their own.
More than beauty, these dogs have brains, too. You’ll want to train them early, or else they’ll end up stubborn and willful. However, they’re also loyal, friendly companions.
- Holiday, Christmas, Merry Christmas, Xmas, Noel, Reindeer, Santa Claus, Christmas tree, Winter, Snow, Snowman, Christmas tee, Animal, Pet, Dog, Dog lovers, Dog owner, Dog mom,...
- Lightweight, Classic fit, Double-needle sleeve and bottom hem
Keeping a small dog in a purse or tote bag is a hipster staple, and the chihuahua is known as the king of the carry dogs. With a maximum weight of six pounds, these pint-sized pups feel perfectly at home when carried around wherever you go.
Although they’re among the smallest dogs on our list, they have the biggest attitude. They typically think they’re the biggest dogs on the block! While they make excellent watchdogs, you’ll want to train them early, or else they’ll likely develop a mean streak.
Chihuahuas get cold fairly easily, so they’re not the best choice if you live in a climate with long, cold winters. For the occasional chilly day, give your pooch a comfy pet sweater such as this pink sweater from Pet Artist or this winter fleece from Expawlorer.
- Size S - Neck Girth 10-12", Chest Girth 11-13", Body length 8.8"
- Keep Your Pet Warm - Keep your furry baby comfortable and warm during the cold winter.Perfect for your lovely dog dairy wear, sleeping time, outside walking or traveling
- Practical Design - O ring attached on the back can be used whenever you need to walk your dog without having to pull out a collar or a harness
Pomeranians are the most popular toy breed in the country. Packed with personality, these smiley dogs are an ideal companion, ready to join you on adventures or chill at home.
Pomeranians do have a loud bark. While they make excellent watchdogs, they might annoy your neighbors without proper training. Fortunately, Pomeranians learn tricks and new skills quickly.
Also, although they need lots of exercise, they don’t require much space. They can typically stay active enough even if they live in a small apartment.
Poms do have two coats, which means they need a bit more brushing than similarly-sized breeds. The Paw Brothers Universal Slicker with Coated Pin Tips is an easy way to keep your pet’s coat healthy and tangle-free.
- Stainless steel soft plastic coated pins
- 2.5" curved head and non-slip grips
- For dogs with medium to long hair
Do you know what breed of dog hipsters chose over any other? Well, despite the popularity of the breeds we’ve listed, the answer is “none of the above.”
Back in 2013, Complex Magazine surveyed pet-owning hipsters throughout New York City. They found that mixed-breed dogs from shelters are the number one choice for hipsters. Considering how many dogs sit in shelters worldwide, any trend which encourages adoption is great news.
Whether you live a hipster lifestyle or some other type, the staff at any shelter can help you find the perfect pet. No matter which pooch you choose, you’ll want to prepare a fun, healthy home for them.
- An adult dog food made with highly digestible ingredients that are easy on your small dog's stomach
- Nourishing omega 6 fatty acids and vitamin E help promote healthy skin and a shiny coat
- Provides high quality protein to maintain lean muscle in small breed dogs
You’ll also need two bowls, one for water and the other for food. Bergan’s standard dog bowl should work fine for both purposes. Another option is the PetSafe Healthy Water Station, which provides clean, flowing water that lasts for several days before needing a refill.
Also, you’ll need a bed where your pup can rest his head. It should be large enough to support your dog’s entire body, including most of his tail.
- WATERPROOF Liner + 2 EXTERNAL COVERS - The bed comes with 1 Water proof internal zipper cover to protect the memory foam, 1 Heavy Duty washable Navy Blue Denim external zipper...
- DURABLE WASHABLE COVER - 100 percent cotton Denim removable cover with strong zipper in gusset style and extra stitching to prolong the life of the bed, wash after wash.
- GEL MEMORY FOAM ORTHOPEDIC SUPPORT - Top rated quality XL 40"X35"X4" hypoallergenic high density 100 percent solid memory foam pad provide the support and relieves the pain of...
- THESE ROPES SUPPORT US IN OUR EFFORTS TO SAVE DOGS FROM HIGH KILL SHELTERS – Pacific Pups Products Dog Toys were created to support Pacific Pups Rescue, a non-profit dog...
- PLASTIC FREE! ASTM F-963 CHILDRENS TOY SAFETY STANDARDS CERTIFIED & LIFETIME GUARANTEED–Your dog is guaranteed to have a great time with these dog toys, or your money back!...
- INCLUDES FREE GIRAFFE DOG FLOSS TOY – our dog toys value pack includes this giraffe rope dog flossing toy for FREE! The giraffe flosser rope toy and carrot flossie are...
The shelter will provide all the recommendations you need regarding care. Don’t be afraid to take your time and ask lots of questions. After all, you’re choosing a best friend for life!
Despite what many people think, hipsters are choosing dogs for reasons beyond their appearance. All of the dogs on our list are friendly, good-tempered, and typically thrive in smaller, urban housing. Of course, they’re also super-cute, too.
Your dog doesn’t care if you’re a super hipster, the least hip person in the country, or somewhere in-between. Instead, your furry friend will love you forever as long as you provide a healthy, happy home. Any of the dogs on our list will make a wonderful companion.