In the early to mid-2000s, hipster style helped define the look of a generation of young men and women. Although the hipster trend has fallen from popularity in recent years, we all likely remember the basics of hipster style.
If you’re looking for a fun, unique costume, you’ll find plenty of inspiration with hipsters. You can dress up as a hipster yourself or add a hipster twist to an existing costume.
Fun Hipster Costumes for Your Next Party or Event
Like costumes based on hippies, emo kids, and many other subcultures, hipster costumes do involve fairly broad stereotypes of the style. Don’t worry — hipsters know some of their unique style choices aren’t taken 100% seriously by non-hipsters.
All of the costumes on our list are meant in good fun! Today, we’ll take a closer look at these fun, funny, and easy-to-make hipster costumes you’re sure to love:
4 Hipster-Related Ideas for Creating an Awesome Costume
You have more costume options than you probably realize. There are four general types of costumes related to hipsters:
- The Stereotypical Hipster
- A Hipster Version of a Pop Culture Character
- A Famous Fictional Hipster
- A Product or Accessory Associated with Hipsters
Whether you’re a hipster yourself, or just want to dress up like one, here are fun and funny hipster costumes sure to make you the hit of Halloween or any costume party:
The Stereotypical Hipster
Hipster style started as an attempt to deviate from mainstream fashion. Emphasis was placed on retro and vintage looks from other eras, usually with a modern twist.
Unfortunately, as the hipster trend grew in popularity, many specific style elements became so common they formed a default hipster uniform. While it’s debatable how many hipsters wore all of these items at one time, each article of clothing and accessory is widely associated with hipster fashion.
Let’s start at the top with the man bun, the most famous (or perhaps infamous) hipster hairstyle. Created in Brooklyn, this messy and top-heavy style was sported by Jared Leto, David Beckham, and countless hipsters from sea to shining sea.
Creating a real man bun isn’t difficult. You only need long hair and a hair tie or two.
However, a fake man bun is usually the funnier and more attention-grabbing option if you’re creating a hipster costume.
Check out this Man Bun Wig from Forum Novelties. It’s over-the-top, ridiculous, and loads of fun.
Made from synthetic materials with a mesh interior, it’ll stay securely attached to your head even if you’re dancing the night away at a party.
- Synthetic wig standard brown includes 1 wig
The man bun is only one element related to hipster hairstyling. You’ll also need a hipster beard!
This novelty beard from Mustaches has a definite hipster style. It attaches to your face with either double-sided tape or spirit gum. Plus, you can dye and trim it for a custom look.
Another option is this Brown Beard and Mustache Set from My Costume Wigs. It has a bushy, unkempt look which reflects real hipster style.
- Realistic Beard and Mustache set to complete any costume. Spirit Gum is highly recommended to secure beard and mustache to face for longevity and comfort. Separate purchase required.
Hipster style often focuses on taking an existing look considered unhip and turning it into something cool. That’s how glasses with large, black frames – a look typically associated with nerds from 1980’s pop culture – became signature hipster eyewear.
Costume glasses are usually a better option than real ones. Frames for real glasses can get expensive. Also, wearing someone else’s glasses is a sure way to end up with a headache at the end of the evening.
Fortunately, you’ll find plenty of costume options, including this pair of Retro Nerd (their term) Glasses from Skeleteen. They should fit most adults and kids comfortably.
Other costume glasses include these Oversized Black Frame Glasses from Moda. Made from heavy-duty plastic with a spring hinge, they’re durable enough to wear without worry during a rowdy party.
Another option is to wear glasses without lenses at all. Believe it or not, wearing glasses without lenses was a real look adopted by some hipsters back in the day.
- Great for both men and women
- Made of high quality plastic with spring temple, it is very sturdy
- Comes with clear lens with UV400 protection from harmful sunlight
- You can take the frame to your eye doctor to replace with prescription lens
- Frame Size (approximate): Width: 5.8" / Height: 1.9"
The main parts of your Stereotypical Hipster costume are the wig, fake beard, and glasses. However, you’ll still want to dress the part in appropriate hipster clothes.
You won’t find tons of options created as costumes. Instead, you’ll probably need to buy a shirt and a pair of pants. Fortunately, you don’t have to spend big. Check out your local thrift stores for deals. After all, that’s where hipsters buy their clothes, too!
- ORIGINAL LEVI'S JEANS: For over 150 years, Levi's has created products for those who value craftsmanship, quality, utility and style
- LEVI'S 511: These blue jeans feature a modern slim cut with room to move, making this lightly tapered denim a modern day classic featuring a zip fly and 5 Pocket Styling
- SIZE & FIT: The 511 Slim sits below the waist with a 10" rise, features a slim cut from hip to ankle and a narrow leg opening of 14.5"
- MATERIAL & FABRIC: Levi's 511 Jeans made from a blend of 99% Cotton and 1% Elastane offer a comfortable fit with a stretch denim material
- CARE INSTRUCTIONS: Machine wash jeans inside out with like colors using liquid detergent
For your shirt, choose plaid, which is a material widely associated with hipsters. This classic plaid flannel from Whatlees is an excellent option. Plus, it’s warm and comfortable, too. You can add it to your wardrobe once the costume party is over.
Another choice is this women’s plaid fleece sweatshirt from Angashion. It’s made with a blend of polyester and spandex to stay comfortable and warm during cold weather.
Aside from working as a costume, it’ll keep you toasty when attending any outdoor Halloween parties.
- Material: 85% Polyester + 15% Spandex. 100% brand new and high quality!
- Style: Casual, Elegant, Loose, Long Sleeves, 1/4 Zip Up, Lapel, Plaid.
- Occasion: Spring, Fall, Winter, Party, Date, Vacation, Daily Wearing, Work, At Home, Shopping
- Note: The flannel 1/4 zip up jacket has been updated in 2019 with soft liner and better material.Three colors available: Gray White/ Red Black/ Beige Coffee. Plaid/Buffalo pattern, classic style for the winter.
- Daily Care: This Cute Coat is Sherpa & Fleece Design. Wash Recommended With Cold Water/Do Not Bleach/Hang Or Line Dry, that will increase the durability of your clothes.
A Hipster Version of a Pop Culture Character
Aside from the Stereotypical Hipster, another option is to dress up as a hipster version of a character from movies, comic books, recent news, or other parts of pop culture.
Humor is the heart of this type of costume. Here’s a hipster Little Mermaid with thick-rimmed glasses. She lived underwater… before it was cool.
- Available sizes): XS (size 0-2), small (size 4-6), medium (size 8-10)
- Package includes: top, leggings, glasses
- Fit & style: comfortable tank and leggings are elevated with shining scales in this unique mermaid look. Perfect for combining comfort and fashion for a night of adventures.
- Materials/care: hand wash cold, Do not bleach, drip dry, do not iron
- Occasion: The Leg Avenue women's hipster mermaid is the perfect Halloween costume for theme parties, cosplay, or oceanic adventures.
Check out hipster Santa and his hipster wife. He’s the only Santa thin enough for skinny jeans.
This type of costume is versatile. You can take a costume you have from a previous year and give it a hipster twist. For example, add some glasses and a man bun to create a hipster Batman costume.
- Officially licensed batman costume
- Jumpsuit with attached mask, cape, and belt
- Available in small (up to 36-inch chest), medium (up to 42-inch chest), and large (up to 46-inch chest)
- Look for batman, robin, batgirl, and all their arch enemies from Rubie's
- From Rubie's costume company, celebrating over 60 years offering an extensive line of costumes for the whole family
Of course, a true hipster wants to look like they don’t care about anything. Throw on a black t-shirt which proudly proclaims This is My Costume.
A similar idea is featured in this shirt that reads I Don’t Need a Costume People Want to Be Me.
Many movies and shows, especially from the mid-2000s, featured hipster characters. More than a few of these characters make great costumes.
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is a famous hipster movie filled with hipster characters.
Plus, Scott Pilgrim has a distinct look that is fairly easy and inexpensive to replicate. It requires skinny jeans, a green T-shirt, and a fake flaming energy sword.
If you’re looking for additional reference material, check out the original Scott Pilgrim graphic novels by writer/illustrator Bryan Lee O’Malley.
High Fidelity is another popular hipster flick with plenty of potential for costumes. Starring John Cusack, the film follows Rob, a record store owner attempting to reconcile his relationship failures by list-making.
The movie introduced much of the world to the weird and wonderful ways hipsters obsess over their pop culture interests.
Dressing as Rob is fairly straightforward. You’ll need short, black hair which hangs down a bit in the front. Then, complete the look with either a black long-sleeved shirt or a striped sweater.
- Contrast color three-button placket
- Raglan sleeves for a sporty look
- Famously durable beefy-t fabric
- All the comfort of Hanes with our famous tag less neckline
To be honest, probably not everyone at the party is going to get your costume right away. But that’s part of the charm.
After all, what’s more hipster than dressing up as an obscure character from a hipster-themed movie?
We don’t want to leave out the ladies. Consider dressing up as famous hipster Enid from the movie Ghost World. Her look is fairly easy to pull off, requiring thick-framed glasses, a loud shirt, and a skirt.
Check out the movie or the original graphic novels by Daniel Clowes for additional inspiration.
A Product or Accessory Associated with Hipsters
Take your costume to the next level by dressing up a product or accessory commonly associated with hipsters.
What’s the type of drink most commonly associated with hipster culture? If you said, “coffee,” then congratulations are in order because you know your hipsters.
Of course, you can’t choose just any coffee costume. For example, stay away from this Starbucks-inspired coffee cup costume. After all, hipsters wouldn’t be caught dead in a corporate coffee chain.
- HOW DO YOU TAKE YOUR COFFEE?: Seriously and iced we hope. There's nothing like dressing up as your favorite drink! If coffee is important to you, show the world!
- FUN DETAILS: Fall, winter, spring or summer it's always time for Iced coffee!
- DESIGN: Printed on the front only.
- INCLUDES & FIT: Includes one piece tunic, hat and scarf. Fits most adults (up to men's chest 42 inch wide).
- DIMENSIONS: 34" x 56" (L x W)
Another option is this pack of social media t-shirts, which reflect the love hipsters have for various social media platforms. Instagram is probably the most hipster-specific selection.
Don’t settle for a played-out costume like a hippie or superhero. A hipster costume is fresh, fun, and funny enough to wear just about anywhere.
It’s silly and self-aware enough for an adults-only party at your local dive bar. However, it’s also good-natured enough to wear to an office party or family gathering.
Use the components on our list to put together an awesome hipster costume for your next party. It’s sure to be a hit!