One thing that hipsters are great at is mastering the art of making the perfect cup of coffee. They’re coffee experts. Almost all hipsters are super, over-the-top passionate about coffee, and for a good reason, they know what they’re doing.
10 Hipster Recommendations for Upping Your Coffee Game
Why settle for that weak stuff down at the local gas station? Why brew up the lowly store brand at home?
Ready to up your coffee game? Here’s what you need to know:
Let’s take a closer look at hipster-approved ways to make coffee, types of coffee to make, and more:
Pour Over Coffee Maker
We’re just going to come right out and say it: Your Keurig is not hip. Available in one out of every three homes, pod-based coffee makers are far too mainstream for hipsters (and not eco-friendly).
The opposite of a Keurig is a manual pour-over coffee maker such as the Bodum Pour Over Coffee Maker or the Chemex Classic Series Coffee Maker. Ground coffee and water are all you need to brew between one and eight cups of coffee at a time.
- All CHEMEX Coffeemakers are measured using 5 oz. as 1 cup
- All CHEMEX Coffeemakers are made of the highest quality, non-porous Borosilicate glass which will not absorb odors or chemical residues
- The patented CHEMEX pour-over design allows coffee to be covered and refrigerated for reheating without losing flavor
Hipster Coffee Mugs
You don’t want to drink your coffee out of some paper cup. Get yourself a proper hipster mug.
Ceramic mugs are the hipster-approved way to drink your coffee at home or work.
As with T-shirts, hipsters like mugs adorned with ironic designs. Check out this Signature Stoneware Coffee Mug with a print of a cat dressed like a hipster.
Another funny option is this coffee mug from 3dRose, featuring an illustration of the classic hipster mustache.
You’ll also want a stylish travel cup for taking your coffee on-the-go. Cypress Home Refresh has a 17-ounce Ceramic Travel Mug featuring a hipster hedgehog with a monocle and tie.
Brew Pipe Kit
Hipsters love old-school ways of doing things, and it doesn’t get much simpler than this Brew Pipe Kit from Bripe. It’s a classic gadget with a torch lighter, copper brew pipe, cork handle, and base plate.
It brews strong, delicious coffee in less than three minutes.
Although originally designed for camping, you can use it just about anywhere. Lightweight and portable, you can slip it into a backpack with no problem.
Plus, it’s good for the earth. Brew pipes have no disposable parts like filters or empty pods to throw away.
They’re easy to keep clean with soap and water because they’re made from copper and silver.
- NEW & ULTRA-PORTABLE: The Bripe Coffee Brew Pipe is a small, light, copper and silver pipe that makes great coffee in the great outdoors. No electricity, gas canister, kettle...
- HOW IT WORKS: Enjoy an awesome coffee shot in less than 3 minutes by following six easy steps. Simply place filter to cover stem hole, add ground coffee, stir in water, brew...
- DESIGNED FOR ADVENTURES: Great adventures deserve great coffee. The Bripe Coffee Brew Pipe allows everyone to enjoy an ultra-portable, ultra-light coffee shot everywhere, from...
Nitro brewed coffee is trendy and delicious. What is it?
It’s cold-brew coffee infused with Nitrogen gas, similar to a soda fountain. Created accidentally in 2011, so-called “Nitro” coffee was a hipster hit for years before recently entering the mainstream.
Nitro coffee is creamy and smooth with a clean flavor. It has a texture similar to Guinness. Truthfully, even though the brewing process screams “overly complicated,” Nitro coffee is tasty and flavorful.
While you’re probably going to get the best Nitro at a coffee joint, you can make it at home, too. Royal Brew’s Cold Brew Home System and HB Brewing’s Nitro Cold Brew Coffee Maker are two home Nitrogen systems that are simple to use and don’t take up much space.
- NITRO COLD BREW FROM YOUR HOME: Savor the rich, silky taste of nitro cold brew coffee from the comfort of your own home. Our nitro cold brew keg pours a beautiful cascade of...
- EASY TO USE and SAVES MONEY: Simply add homemade or store-bought cold brew to the keg and infuse with the nitro canister. Avoid paying the high price of coffee shops. Makes...
- UPGRADED DESIGN: Our premium keg is equipped with a pressure relief valve that is unique to its design and upgraded tap, giving a consistent pour that minimizes dripping. A...
If you’re not interested in brewing your own Nitro, many canned options are available. The first canned Nitro to hit the market was Portland’s own Stumptown Cold Brew from Stumptown Coffee Roasters.
- Forget those tiny 7oz cans, Caveman Coffee Has Large 11.5oz Cans! Our New Nitro Cold Brew Coffee is a tasty, naturally caffeinated treat you'll love. Each can has 200mg of...
- "The Taste is Velvet Electric" - Tait Fletcher + Joe Rogan's choice of Cold Brew as seen on the JRE Podcast. Blend with 1 Tablespoon of Caveman MCT Oil for Smooth Energy....
- 14 Calories + 0g of Sugar in One Can! Smooth & Velvety Beverage with Low acidity and Amazing Flavor. A Boost of Energy for those following Vegan, Keto & Low Carb Friendly...
Black Rifle Coffee Company Just Black Coffee
Hipsters don’t drink mainstream coffee brands like Folgers or Maxwell House. They definitely avoid the store brands, too. Instead, hipsters look for products outside of the mainstream.
Preferably, the company should also have a cool, unique backstory.
The Black Rifle Coffee Company is proudly veteran-owned, with proceeds helping a variety of veteran’s organizations across the country. Their collection of roasts features a mix of Brazilian and Colombian beans for a strong, bold flavor.
- 🌄ABOUT THIS BLEND 🌄 The roast that started it all. Our founding roast strikes the perfect balance between the bold and the smooth. This medium roast was developed to be...
- ☕WORLDS BEST SINGLE SERVE COFFEE☕ It doesn’t matter if you are looking for variety packs or French roast coffee in bulk, BRCC Coffee Rounds offer assorted roasts that...
- 🌱VARIETY OF ROASTS FOR EVERY COFFEE LOVER🌱You need the freshest and strongest (or smoothest) coffee around. We personally blend Brazilian & Colombian beans to create a...
Blue Algae Latte
Introduced in 2016, the Blue Latte missed hipsterdom’s prime, but it’s still such a delightfully hipsterish drink we just had to include it. As you’ve certainly noticed, it has a decidedly non-traditional blue-green color.
That’s because it’s made from – wait for it – algae powder. Even more bizarre, it contains no caffeine. Although it does boost immune system function, many folks liken its taste to that of sour milk.
So, if it doesn’t have caffeine, and doesn’t taste good, why is it so popular? Honestly, it photographs well. People post pictures on their ultra-hip coffee on Instagram. So, even though it might not sound like a drink you’d like to try yourself, it’s easily the hottest hipster drink available right now.
As you might have noticed, hipsters are generally fans of cold coffee. While cold coffee is an alternative to traditional coffee, most hipsters don’t choose cold coffee for contrarian reasons. Instead, cold coffee is a great choice for anyone who loves coffee but doesn’t want to drink it on a hot day.
Iced lattes ingredients vary by country. Here in the U.S., most are made with espresso and chilled milk. They typically don’t have any steamed milk or foam (unlike regular lattes).
As the name implies, they’re typically poured over ice. However, they can also be ice-blended. All iced lattes are typically flavored with sugar or flavoring syrups.
You can also buy iced lattes in cans. Starbucks has iced lattes, and, while they’re about as mainstream as it gets, they’re also pretty tasty.
Of course, true hipsters prefer something more artisanal such as the Pre-Made Iced Vanilla Latte by Victor Allen.
- The package length of the product is 10.8 inches
- The package width of the product is 8.1 inches
- The package height of the product is 6.5 inches
The Cortado is an upscale version of a Caffe macchiato, which is an espresso with steamed milk. A Cortado uses more milk to reduce the acidity of the coffee. Many baristas use microfoam to create latte art.
Cortados are popular overseas, especially in Spain and Portugal. We’re not saying the intercontinental popularly is the sole reason hipsters prefer them, but the exclusivity is certainly at least a partial factor.
- Thanks to a special thermal after-process applied to the top portion of the glass, you can rest assured that it has exceptional durability to match its looks!
- This is a set of two Libbey Cortado Duratuff 4.5oz Rock glasses with paper coasters
- The versatile 4.5-ounce size is also well suited to serve double time in the kitchen and bar, eliminating the need for two sets of glassware-simply add the other Gibraltar...
Hipsters don’t just drink coffee. They show-off their love for coffee at every opportunity. You can decorate your home or workspace with many cool, hip coffee-themed items.
Check out this Coffee Cup Wall Clock by Modern Artisans. With a vintage look and wood/metal construction, it’s professional but still stylish.
Do you love coffee but don’t know much about it? Hang this How to Make Coffee poster on your wall. It features visual descriptions of ten famous coffee drinks, including espresso, cappuccino, and more.
Even if you’re already a coffee-brewing master, the hand-drawn illustration adds a sophisticated style to any room.
Coffee Cup Silhouette Metal Wall Art is a subdued, tasteful decoration for a living room or even the company break room. It’s sturdy with a timeless design.
Finally, what’s the one thing hipsters love more than coffee? How about vinyl records? Protect your coffee table with a set of coasters that look like retro vinyl records.
- MUSIC THEME -- Adorn your coffee table with these stylish retro vinyl record coasters, making them perfect for music lovers, perfect decoration for 80s.
- NON-SLIP--The coasters with a small rubber disc on the bottom, makes sure that your table will be protected and non slip, at the same time fun and creative.
- PROTECT FURNITURE SURFACES--Protect the surface of table from damage while putting hot or cold drinks on the table, suitable for all cups, mugs and glasses of any beverage.
Brewing your coffee at home is fun and economical. Ordering cans of coffee from around the world is a great way to sample new flavors. But for the best coffee drinking experience, you should visit coffee shops.
Walking into a new coffee shop can feel intimidating, but the staff (and probably more than a few customers) will usually be happy to share their knowledge. Every independent coffee shop has unique blends and drinks you won’t find anywhere else.
While Starbucks and Dunkin are fast and convenient, the experience you’ll get at an independent coffee joint is unparalleled.
Although you might wait a bit longer and pay slightly higher prices, you’ll also gain a wealth of new knowledge about coffee.
If there’s one thing hipsters know, it’s great coffee. Although their passions can seem extreme, their expertise is unparalleled. Beyond the silly algae drinks and other out-there beverages, you’ll find hipsters have a wealth of interesting coffee knowledge to offer.
Why drink the same generic coffee every day? Up your coffee game by incorporating the tasty types of coffee and fun, fancy gear from the list above.
Whether you’re a hipster or not, you deserve to treat yourself with a sublime coffee experience.