Whether you’re going out for a camping trip on the weekend or just having a grilling party with your friends, a cooler will always come in handy if you want to keep your food fresh and your beverages cold!
However, you shouldn’t settle for “just about any picnic cooler”, as some of them might not suit your thoughtful style and gear.
While looking for a hipster-style cooler, you need to consider a lot of factors, such as aesthetics, materials, budget, and functionality.
If you’re a huge fan of hipster life who’s looking for a vintage cooler that’s highly functional, you’re in for a treat!
Since finding the best vintage style coolers might be a little tricky or even overwhelming, we’ve made this article to help you out.
Read on, if you want to find some great vintage cooler suggestions that you can take along on your next picnic!
- Locking handle holds Stanley Classic 1.1qt Bottle in place
- Vacuum insulated thermos bottle keeps drinks hot 24 hours, cold 24 hours or iced 120 hours
- 18/8 stainless steel won't rust-naturally BPA free
Kicking off this list with one of the most popular trends when it comes to vintage picnic coolers and thermoses.
The folks at Stanley are known to be a huge supporter of the timeless stainless steel with powder coating.
The 7-quart heritage cooler is available in a color that will automatically send you back in a time-traveling experience.
However, don’t let the mesmerizing vintage look of the cooler fool you. When it comes to functionality and reliability, this cooler is everything a hipster needs for a full-day trip.
The double-wall construction with vacuum allows the beverages inside the cooler to last up to 24 hours.
Moreover, the cooler package comes with a complimentary vintage thermos that you can fit above the cooler, so you can neatly organize your carrying load.
Another great gesture by Stanley is the lifetime warranty that it grants for its products. This shows the level of trust the company has in its “vintage yet advanced” coolers. It also adds a layer of security to your purchase.
If powder coated and textured finish is what you’re looking for, check out this Stanley Heritage Cooler on Amazon.
- ✔️ VINTAGE-INSPIRED DESIGN: Stainless steel construction with a chrome polished exterior is reminiscent of the retro cooler design. Our ice chests are the perfect beverage...
- ✔️ BUILT-IN BOTTLE OPENER: You won't have to worry about the clutter of bringing along extra bottle opening gadgets because our premium vintage coolers come equipped with...
- ✔️ ICE-COLD BEVERAGES. EVERYTIME. The dual-wall insulated construction ensures that your beverages remain frigid-cold at all times.
Want to maximize the nostalgia factor by having an ultra vintage style cooler?
The old school ice chest with steel finish is your way to go! This model was super popular back in the day and is the inspiration behind the modern-day design.
All the models even come with the iconic built-in bottle opener looks great and does its job perfectly. These ice chests have a steel exterior with paint finish and chrome accents.
They also come with polished metal handles that give that old yet functional feel we all know and love!
Love this painted steel ice chest? You can find it in a wide variety of color options on Amazon.
- Keeps food and drinks cold and doubles as a dry box - keeping out moisture and/or dust from your valuable electronics, emergency kits and cameras.
- Features a unique airtight EVA gasket around the lid - for excellent ice retention and a water proof seal.
- Non-Absorbent surfaces are easy to clean and are stain and odor resistant.
The evergreen model of coolers that are shaped like a plastic box with metal locks and a handle is a huge trend among hipsters for all the good reasons.
These models are highly ergonomic while giving a rustic vibe that matches hipster gear. If you choose the right exterior finish, you’ll enjoy all the benefits of a modern cooler while looking straight out of a collectors gallery.
These cooler boxes are also extremely versatile, as you can use them as dry boxes as well. This means that you can use them to store and protect your items from moisture and other elements of weather.
If you love this model idea, check out ENGEL Cooler/Dry Box with camouflage finish on Amazon. The model also comes with a shoulder strap that makes it much easier to move the box.
- A CLASSIC COCA-COLA COLLECTIBLE: The Coca-Cola Vintage Chic 4-liter thermoelectric cooler/warmer mini fridge by Cooluli features the iconic signature logo—perfect for Coca...
- CONVENIENT + LIGHTWEIGHT: The Vintage Chic cooler/warmer mini fridge sports a modern profile that’s perfectly portable; measures: 7.25" W x 10.25" D x 10.75" H and weighs 4...
- MULTIPLE FUNCTIONS + USES: Use anywhere to store food, drinks, snacks, breast milk, insulin, medications, as well as skincare and beauty products!
What we like about this idea is that it has a super catchy design that works very well. Despite looking like a miniature figure of a 1950s fridge, this one can actually work as an electric fridge as well.
It comes with a DC, AC, and USB power cords, allowing you to use it both outdoors and indoors as well!
You can use it to store both food and drinks and keep them cold for a long time, whether by adding ice or using a power bank.
The convenient cooler fridge is available in both 4 liters and 10 liters versions, so you can choose the one that fits you the most. If you like this vintage mini fridge better than a basic cooler, you can find it on Amazon.
- High-capacity, heavy-duty cooler features a charming retro design and built-in bottle opener
- 54-quart capacity accommodates up to 85 cans
- Premium insulation offers 4-day ice retention in temperatures as high as 90°F
Coleman is one of the innovative names in the field of picnic and outdoor coolers, which is why many people use “Coleman” to describe any cooler.
Since they’ve been in the field for decades, they have some super elegant and chic old school designs. Luckily, these designs aren’t discontinued, and you can still find it out there.
These retro design coolers have an excellent capacity, which makes them great for long trips over the weekend.
They’re also available in a wide variety of vintage style color tones, so you can pick the one that fits you the most.
These models also have steel handles with comfortable grips to help you move them around easily.
Moreover, they have a built-in bottle opener, which was a constant addition in the old school coolers. If you love these super-original models, check these vintage coolers on Amazon!
Out of all materials out there, nothing says vintage and classic as good as leather. While finding a leather-wrapped cooler isn’t a common scene, you can still find some of these items if you look around.
In fact, leather is a great material that insulates the cooler and absorbs the heat of the sun to keep your beverage cold for a longer time.
It also adds to the level of sturdiness and durability of the cooler, which also absorbs shocks and hits if you accidentally dropped the cooler.
In addition to that, if the handles are also covered with leather, it’ll be a lot easier and more comfortable to hold while giving an anti-slip quality to the handle.
If you’re looking for a leather-wrapped cooler, check out this one from Sol&Luna on Anthropologie.
This one uses handcrafted premium leather wrapping to create a state of art cooler that will make you stand out!
- A LUNCHBOX WITH STYLE: Waxed canvas body provides waterproof protection and stylish look for the workplace or school.
- KEEPS FOOD HOT or COLD: Insulated lining keeps food and drinks cold through the lunch hour. Wide base designed to fit cooler packs.
- REUSE, REDUCE: Free of synthetic or plastic-based materials. Significantly reduces trash and waste.
Similar to leather, canvas fabric has always been a favorite among hipsters and retro-loving community.
The fabric is known for its durability and hardiness despite being originally crafted from cotton. That’s why they’re the most popular choice when it comes to vintage rucksacks and backpacks.
While they’re less common when it comes to coolers, there are a few options available out there.
While you may not add ice to these coolers, they can retain your frozen packs for a long time. This makes them ideal for a backyard barbecue party rather than long trips.
They’re available in various styles. For example, you can find a full-on canvas case like the Beer Caddy with Bottle Opener on Uncommon Goods.
There are also options that combine both canvas and leather to create ultra-rustic looking coolers, such as the Spruced Insulated Cooler Bag on Amazon.
Lastly, if you’re looking for canvas body and straps along with leather handles, consider this vintage and summery styled cooler on Anthropologie.
It also includes waterproof polyester and PVC interior lining, which allows you to add plenty of ice without worrying about the quality of the canvas!
- Vintage Coca-Cola icebox cooler with 80 quart capacity to keep your drinks cold
- Features a removable folding lid for easy drink access and heavy-duty Coke logo bottle opener with cap catcher
- Durable insulated poly liner construction holds 75+ cans with ice and includes drain plug for easy emptying when the party is over
If you want a large cooler that can hold a ton of beverages for your patio cooler, you can also enjoy it the vintage way by opting for a rolling cooler.
The vintage and old school models used to hold up to a full capacity of 11 gallons, allowing you to store tens of cans with plenty of extra space for adding ice.
Despite being less portable, they still allow you to move them around the cooler thanks to its attached wheels.
These designs were popular back in the day with multiple beverage brands, such as CocaCola. In fact, you can find some vintage CocaCola rolling coolers on Amazon.
It’s ideal if you’re planning to throw a patio picnic with hipster themes, these rolling coolers would get the job done.
Want to get the plain version of the vintage rolling cooler, check out this premium quality model from Permasteel
With that said, you now have a huge selection of hipster-friendly coolers with the vintage vibes that you’re looking for.
As you can see, picking the right picnic cooler that matches your gear will add a new depth to your style and fashion statement.
Remember, a well-chosen picnic cooler will give you both the aesthetics and functionality you need to be the star of the night!