Say what you will about hipsters and their too-cool-for-school attitude, but there’s one thing you can’t argue. With their keen eye for design and kitschy style, hipsters are great decorators.
If you’re looking to add some much-needed hipster style to your room, you’re in the right place. From furniture to decor and everything in between, we’ll cover some of the best tips for designing the hipster bedroom of your dreams.
What Makes a Bedroom “Hipster”?
The term hipster is a catch-all phrase for everything and nothing at once. An offshoot of British mod culture in the sixties, hipsters are considered to be artistic, creative types who are rarely interested in what the mainstream perceives as cool.
Hipsters tend to have a keen eye for design and maintain an air of seriousness without taking themselves too seriously. For a hipster bedroom, you’ll want to draw on these traits, while also incorporating your personality into the room.
It’s hard to pin down precisely what gives something hipster appeal because the term is so esoteric. But, there are a few design tenets and themes that are common among the most well-decorated hipster bedrooms.
These themes include music, literature, art, and reclaimed or repurposed materials, like aged wood, wrought iron, and weathered metal. Elements of these themes can be seen in any hipster bedroom, and they’re things you’ll want to incorporate into your design if you’re looking to nail the hipster aesthetic.
First Things First: The Bed
After all, it is a bedroom, right? The first thing you’ll want to do to outfit your hipster retreat is to select your bed.
The mattress industry has been turned on its head by an influx of hip new companies that can ship a new mattress right to your door in just a few days. Most of these companies also make beautiful beds that are perfectly aligned with the hipster aesthetic. Best of all, they’re usually quite affordable, too.
- 2-Layer Design - Our mattress pad features a unique 2-Layer Design: 1st layer of 1” Red Respira Foam and 2nd layer of 2” UTTU Dynamic Foam. The combination of two achieves...
- Highly Breathable - Our Red Respira Foam with its unique ventilated design ensures the SUPERIOR AIRFLOW to be highly breathable, controlling effectively your body temperature...
- Pressure Relief - Our UTTU Dynamic Foam conforms to the natural curve of your body, accommodates your pressure points by providing EVEN DISTRIBUTION of your body weight, it...
When it comes to selecting a new bed, there aren’t many rules you need to concern yourself with. Focus on picking a foundation that will fit well into the design of your bedroom.
Not sure where to start? Any bed that features worn or reclaimed wood will score you serious bonus points. Or, if you prefer a more modern look, go for a bed that has a tufted headboard that’s finished in linen or a piece of a similar fabric in a shade of blue, tan, or grey.
- Suitable for Queen sized beds
- Predrilled holes allows for easy connection to many metal bedframes
- Finished in drifted gray laminate
When it comes to selecting a bed, the one thing you’ll want to avoid is going with a bed frame and a bed skirt. This might be fine for a typical, mainstream bedroom. But, it isn’t going to help you nail down the hipster aesthetic you’re searching for here.
Furnishing the Room
Furnishing a bedroom is something most people dread. Furniture can be challenging to shop for, and it’s usually expensive. But, if you channel your inner hipster, your furniture search may end up being fun and affordable.
The first thing you’ll need to do is forget about any traditional big box stores or furniture retailers. When a hipster needs a new dresser, a set of end tables, or anything else for that matter, they aren’t going to Macy’s; they’re turning to second-hand stores.
Antique shops, thrift stores, and consignment stores are all perfect places to check out if you’re looking for a fun and unique piece for your bedroom. You can also think outside the box and repurpose old furniture and other items for your bedroom.
- BRING BACK GOOD STYLE: Don't let good looking furniture be a thing of the past - reinvent your home with a charming, mid-century bookcase by VASAGLE; this retro-inspired...
- STORE WHAT YOU NEED: This bookcase features 2 tall shelving and a storage cabinet to hold your favorite books, games, and decorations; the simple push-to-open doors let you...
- QUALITY ISN'T LOST: The canted legs of this bookshelf are solid rubberwood supported by both screws and wooden pegs for extra stability; with the durable particleboard frame,...
Assembling your collection of bedroom furniture is an excellent opportunity to get creative, too. Go shopping with an open mind, and feel free to refinish or customize pieces if they fit your vision for the room.
For example, old milk crates are perfect for storing your records, and they can be stacked together to create a bookshelf. Or, you can repurpose vintage wine boxes for use as end tables. The possibilities are limited only by your imagination.
- Make offering beer to patrons or friends a pleasure with this refined bottle storage crate.
- 12 divided slots are designed to hold standard 12 ounce bottle or can of beer.
- This vintage wood crate is ideal for both storing or serving your favorite beer (not included).
When you’re shopping, search for materials like aged or reclaimed wood, raw metal, or anything that shows some character and personality that may be lacking on the furniture you’d find in a big box store.
Antique shops are usually your best source for these worn wood and metal items. If you aren’t finding what you’re looking for right off the bat, leave your number with the shop and tell them to give you a ring if something that fits your style comes in.
Fill the Room With Song
One thing that no hipster bedroom could ever be complete without is music and plenty of it. Hipsters love to display their love for music, both for practical reasons and as decor items.
One hipster classic that you may want to add to your room is a record player. If you don’t already own one, you should be able to find plenty of affordable options online or in second-hand stores. Of course, you’ll want to pick up some vinyl for good measure.
- Built-in Bluetooth receiver lets you stream your music wirelessly to the full-range stereo speakers
- Belt driven turntable plays 3 speeds: 33 1/3, 45, and 78 RPM records
- Portable audio ready - simply plug in your smartphone or MP3 player
Old records also make great decor pieces, as well. You can find inexpensive album frames, make frames yourself, or create your own custom work of art to display on a wall using old albums.
Don’t be afraid to give the nod to other outdated musical devices from decades past, either. So, if you find yourself an old boombox, tape deck, or 8-track player at your local thrift shop, scoop them up and use them as conversation pieces.
- Ultra-Portable: Lightweight yet rugged, It is the best wood speaker for home, dorm room, kitchen,office, parties,camping, creates a one-of-a-kind portable music experience....
- Unique Design: The whole body of this retro bluetooth speaker is beautifully finished and crafted by natural wood. And it is hand made.classic outlook,not only fit your...
- Long Playtime: The compact wood bluetooth speaker features "Charge less,Listen More",Built-in rechargeable 1800mAh lithium battery,approximately 10 hour battery life for...
Beyond a record player, you’ll probably want to add a system for playing your digital music, too. Of course, this all depends on whether or not you listen to music in your bedroom. For most hipsters, it’s a practical requirement, as they’re often devout music lovers.
Now would also be an excellent time to dig up that old acoustic or electric guitar you have lying around. Old instruments make great decor pieces to occupy an empty corner or hang on the wall.
Expand Your Literary Collection
Besides music, another almost universal hobby among hipsters is reading, and they proudly display large collections of their favorite books and stories in their bedrooms.
If you already have a bookshelf in your room, you’re well on your way. But, if you don’t, consider displaying a few of your favorite books throughout the room, like on a coffee table or nightstand.
- ✔️ ATTRACTIVE AND ECONOMICAL MODERN SQUARE COFFEE TABLE: 3 Piece Modern Wood Composite Dining Table Set with Two (2) Stools. This Table is Designed for Two Persons.
- ✔️ MODERN DESIGN WITH AN ELEGANT TOUCH: Stylish Finish And Chrome Frame That Looks Great In Every Home. Rustic Design With Steel Frames For A Modern Touch. This Sturdy...
- ✔️ FINALLY AN ECONOMICAL TABLE WHICH IS MADE TO LAST: Abington Lane Tables Feature High Quality Materials And A Design Which Is Made To Last For Years To Come. Coffee...
If you aren’t much of a reader, you can always fake it ‘til you make it. You’ll find no shortage of dirt-cheap books in most secondhand stores that you can use to decorate your hip new bedroom.
Decorating a Space Fit For a Hipster
Now that you’ve figured out most of your furnishings, it’s time to add some hip decor that shows your personality and hipster appeal. We think this is the most fun part of the process, and it’s a great way to let your personality shine through.
There aren’t any hard rules you need to follow regarding decor; do what feels natural to you! Some hipsters prefer a minimalistic approach with very little decoration, while others prefer to clutter the room with decorations that show their unique personality.
One thing is for sure; you’ll want a fun and interesting conversation piece in the room to highlight that quirky personality of yours. A vintage typewriter, a period light fixture with an Edison bulb, or an old record player all make great ideas for hipster pieces you can incorporate into the bedroom.
- ❤️ ❤️ Note: We ship the item from USA,it will only takes about 5-7 days to arrive!!!
- ❤️ Beautiful glass design: These trendy light bulbs are carefully crafted and topped with a tear drop design. The beautiful squirrel cage filament creates that vintage old...
- ❤️ Emit a perfect, romantic light ray to create retro ambiance to comfort your surrounding feelings! Never tire your eyes with soft brightness
There’s more to decorating than filling the space in the room, though. You’ll need to fill the bare space on your walls, too. This is another excellent opportunity to have fun and get creative.
Create a photo collage, display your favorite album artwork, or hang art you’ve collected over the years; it’s all up to you. If you don’t have much to hang on the walls, you can find plenty of awesome vintage artwork at secondhand and thrift stores.
- Design: Black 11x14 inch picture collage frame with five 4x6 inch openings, perfect for your cherished memories; frame includes a white beveled mat; comes with hanging...
- Material: Wood frame with lead free tempered shatter-resistant glass that gives a clear view of your photos
- Quality: Durable, gallery-style frames; the frame's front has clear glass and a sturdy backboard to keep the photos in place
Making your own wall art is another hobby that many hipsters engage in, and it’s another excellent way to show your personality in the space. Embroidered wall art is a staple in every hipster bedroom, and you’ll find tons of inspiration for creative designs on Etsy.
For an extra pinch of hipster style, incorporate some accent lighting into your wall decor in the form of fairie lights or LED light strips. You’ll find no shortage of inspiring wall designs that incorporate these lights on sites like Pinterest and Tumblr.
Creating the perfect hipster enclave may seem like a daunting task, but it can also be tons of fun.
The key to creating the perfect hipster bedroom is to incorporate plenty of your own personality, along with some eye-catching vintage elements like record players or antique light fixtures.
Be sure to think outside the box, incorporate plenty of music and literature, and add furnishings in funky materials like aged wood and raw metal, as well. Follow these tips, and you’ll be well on your way to creating the perfect hipster bedroom.