Decorating your apartment as a hipster is just as important as establishing your signature hipster clothing “look.” Don’t spend all your time on your personal brand and forget to surround yourself with your signature hipster style while in your apartment.
Top Tips for Your Hipster Apartment
Whether you’re in that historic brownstone with the well-known story or your budget is just a standard apartment you need to fill with personality, you can find everything you need to make your apartment just as unique as you are. Let’s take a look.
Decorating Room by Room
When you’re decorating your hipster apartment, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, everything must have a story, and nothing is off-limits if that story is in place.
Second, absolutely nothing is off-limits ironically. The biggest no-no is trying to look like everyone else. No thanks. Let’s take a look at each room.
Living Room and Entryway – Your First Impression
The living room is the place where you’ll entertain guests and establish the tone of your apartment. You’ve got a few things you can do with your living room, and some good walls space to do it.
First, many hipsters use ironic and bad art to set the tone of the entire apartment. If you’ve got a secret love for Thomas Kinkade art, now is the time to get that cozy throw for your couch and make sure everyone knows about your not-so-secret obsession.
You also need to stock up on some seriously funny or ironic wall art. If you can make your guests laugh or take another look at your unexpected art, that’s even better than fussy, high design.
Designs that play on traditional decor such as serious portraits or insert funny sayings into serious design could be a really fun way to keep your apartment looking unexpected.
Plants are also a big deal in the hipster apartment, and your living room is the place where you can have the show-stopping ones displayed. Get a plant like the Monstera or the Fiddle Leaf Fig and use a woven basket or a brass-toned plant stand to really highlight their form and give them a chance to shine.
Little knick-knacks like science-inspired paperweights or a clock with nontraditional design, plus either decorated antlers (from a sustainable source) or a fun twist on the design and your decor is good to go. Throw an ironic and hilarious welcome mat at the front door to greet your guests, and the first impression is complete.
- Size:30"(L) x 18"(W) 3/16",this is a thin welcome mat,recommend INDOOR USE,great suit for kitchen mats and rugs / entrance way door mats / bedroom door mat / bathmat /...
- Material:Non-slip rubber back and colorful print polyester top,which is a Anti-slip door mat.This rubber mats can seize the floor really good, safe for wooden...
- Our Advantage:Personalized door mat with unique design, made of high quality rubber and non-woven fabric, this will be an excellent choice for a home decor mat....
Kitchen – The Heart of the Hipster Home
Kitchens are full of things that can look like other things, and that is the secret to hipster home decor. Do your measuring spoons look like little fish? You win.
- Fish shaped scale texture measuring spoons set includes four spoons, 1 tablespoon, 1 teaspoon, 1/2 teaspoon, and 1/4 teaspoon
- Spoons are made of zinc metal with Silver tone finish
- Measuring spoons measure approximately 5. 25 inches long
Measuring cups that look like a mason jar? Perfection. Luckily, it’s not too difficult to find some of these things.
Hipsters love old crafts such as macrame or fruit holders that have been given new life. A super fun homage to a favorite movie franchise with something as simple as a slow cooker is a pop of fun in the kitchen while a cutting board can seal your fandom.
- 2 quart capacity is perfect for dips, queso or appetizers
- Removeable round stoneware insert
- Variable cook settings (Low, High and Warm)
The kitchen is full of things like artistic plates and more funny mugs than we can ever count. It’s also a great way to use those vintage mason jars and get into all kinds of old kitchen acts like kombucha brewing or beer crafting.
The kitchen can also be a good place for some simple hanging plants and a great rug that offers both cushion and a vintage feel.
Keep the design to a minimum so that you don’t end up tripping over a bunch of fragile things while cooking, but also, don’t listen to us. You do you.
The Bathroom – While You’re Just Sitting There….
A bathroom is a place where you can take your hipster design to the next level. The bathroom is full of double entendre humor designed to make you laugh while your attention is captured.
Start with some fun prints that poke fun at our human needs and ensure your guests (and you) never stop chuckling.
The bathroom shower curtain could be one of your most significant decorating chances. You could go for a classic art scene that you love, or you could go in the opposite direction and use it to give homage to a great horror movie.
Match the bathroom rug to your funny art decor or your shower curtain, and your image is complete.
Oh, and listen close. Give your guests the chance to see themselves with a glorious mustache by sticking these to your mirror, and everyone will go home happy.
- √ Material: Artificial Fiber
- √16 Different Designs,5colors, 48Pcs Fake Mustaches
- √ Self-adhesive, Onetime Use Fake Beards
Designate the bathroom door with a fun sign, so your guests don’t get lost even in a small apartment and add a few little accessories like fun hand towels and your smallest, yet most dramatic room is set.
The Bedroom – Yours and Your Guest’s
Bedrooms should be comfortable and cozy, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have some hipster fun. Your bed itself can be a big part of your hipster decor.
A seersucker blanket or a fun quilt is an excellent throwback to crafts of the past, while pillows have the chance to offer humor or irony.
The bedroom rug is another place where you can show your love of the hipster crafts of the past. A woven circle rug is a great place to start, or an oriental style rug can bring a room together, whether it’s yours or your guest’s.
- CONSTRUCTION: Hand made from 100% Natural jute fibers and multi-color vibrant recycled cotton rags - braided together. Each rug consist of a unique color blend which may...
- HIGH QUALITY: Woven and Braided by Hand Crafted Uniquely from sustainably harvested 100% Natural Jute Fibers and 100% Multi-colored recycled fabrics.
- SIZE: 4 Feet Round
The wall hangings and tapestries offer plenty of comfort and interest for you and your guest’s bedroom. A soothing forest scene, for example, can fill the room with tranquility or a funny moose tapestry continues the humor. The chance to show your personality is huge in a bedroom.
A bedroom is also a place to leave some plants around to help clear air. You may or may not have room for large plants like what you have in your living room, but you can still offer good containers for your plants to display your personality.
Leave a good book laying around that can either teach your guests about some of the defining principles of hipster hood or a funny look at what it means to be a hipster so that your guests have something to entertain themselves while in their room. You may also like a refresher every once in a while.
- Hardcover Book
- Kempton, Beth (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
Bonus Items – The Den, The Hallway, The Sunroom
If you’re lucky enough to have a long hallway or the extra rooms, there’s some hipster decor for you there as well. Wicker furniture might have gone out of style in high fashion, but wicker is a beloved vintage, grandma-style that can go well in a sunroom.
- The natural wicker weave and leather strap accent on this lidded trunk make it a beautiful addition to any space. In addition to adding style to a room, its functional lid and...
- Hand-woven wicker construction
- Easy flip-top lid
Pair it with an unexpected style of cushion, and you’ve got yourself a vintage haven.
The den can also be an excellent place for you to showcase your media. A record player or tape deck set up with plenty of vintage music is a fun option for those who have a den.
Even if you don’t have a den, that might be an excellent addition to your hipster home, no matter where you can find the room.
- ♬【3-Speeds Turntable】Support 3-Sizes of 7/10/12 inch vinyl record and 3-Speeds of 33/45/78 RMP playing speeds. You will love this belt driven turntable to play all of...
- ♬【Classic Suitcase Design】JORLAI record player is a perfect combo of trendy elements and retro style with classical color series. Customized metal decorative panels,...
- ♬【Unique Design】The record player comes with a built-in 2100 mAH rechargeable lithium battery + built-in wireless speakers + RCA output + Headphone jack + Aux in. There...
If you have a space for a small piano or guitar setup, you can play to your heart’s content or say you’re “about to start learning” until you die. This music set up is crucial to a hipster’s home because music is such a big part of what it means to be a hipster.
If you can use your vintage record collection to provide the background music to your musical dreams, it’ll be a hipster space for sure.
A vintage movie collection could also be great decor for a den. Plus, get a few movie posters that either define your love of terrible movies or movies that are beloved among hipsters so that your movie cred is set.
- 12-month wall calendar
- Large format 9"x13" wall calendar opens to 9"x26"
- Twelve 9”x12” prints, with perforated pages for easy framing.
Building the Perfect Hipster Apartment
Decorating a hipster apartment can’t ever involve walking into one of those furniture stores that sell matching sets. Instead, a careful collection of curbside furniture, hand-me-downs from your grandmother’s storage room, and vintage finds from places like Goodwill ensure that your eclectic style can’t be copied.
Blend those with things from the geek-world and with excellent music, and you’ll have a place you love being. Plants that fill the room with light and provide a light-hearted foil to those questions about settling down (i.e., “These plants ARE my babies”).
Plus, it’s a really fun alternative to pets if you aren’t ready for those yet.
A hipster apartment is always going to be a few parts humor to a few parts unexpected to a few parts vintage.
The best thing you can do is not to match too hard with everything in the room, and when you have the chance to provide an ironic twist to a traditional art or decor trend, take it. You’ll never regret it.